Living Water
A couple of months ago, I noticed the flowing well in the corral west of the barn had stopped flowing. The pipe comes out of the ground and stands about 18 inches above the surface. It is supposed to flow into the tank that is there. On the day I noticed it, there was no water coming out of the pipe, so I moved the bulls to another corral with another tank. Being in the middle of a very dry summer, I blamed the lack of water on the drought. After all, in some previous dry years this same well had stopped flowing.
After two or three weeks, one day I stopped long enough to check this well out. I noticed there was still water around the outside of the tank and in the drainage ditch that leads away from the tank. As I approached, I could hear the sound of running water. Upon closer examination, I found that the bulls had apparently broken the pipe off at a coupling near the surface. All the water that came out of the pipe was going down the ditch instead of into the stock tank.
Sometimes, we Christians cease to show any evidence of the Holy Spirit working in our lives. Much like that well, we have the right look, but there is no water. We have somehow become disconnected from the source.
Jesus said, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him" (John 7:38). He was speaking of the Holy Spirit dwelling in the heart of the believer. To the woman at the well, he said, "whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:14).
So, Christian, if your well seems to be drying up, maybe the connection needs some close examination. Perhaps it has become obstructed in some way or maybe even disconnected. Two ways the connection can be restored are prayer and studying of God's Word, the Bible.
Checking my connection,
Pastor Jerry
After two or three weeks, one day I stopped long enough to check this well out. I noticed there was still water around the outside of the tank and in the drainage ditch that leads away from the tank. As I approached, I could hear the sound of running water. Upon closer examination, I found that the bulls had apparently broken the pipe off at a coupling near the surface. All the water that came out of the pipe was going down the ditch instead of into the stock tank.
Sometimes, we Christians cease to show any evidence of the Holy Spirit working in our lives. Much like that well, we have the right look, but there is no water. We have somehow become disconnected from the source.
Jesus said, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him" (John 7:38). He was speaking of the Holy Spirit dwelling in the heart of the believer. To the woman at the well, he said, "whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:14).
So, Christian, if your well seems to be drying up, maybe the connection needs some close examination. Perhaps it has become obstructed in some way or maybe even disconnected. Two ways the connection can be restored are prayer and studying of God's Word, the Bible.
Checking my connection,
Pastor Jerry

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home