Saturday, June 09, 2007

Life Change

Almost everyone will have some life changing news. I can think of several times instances of this in my own life, but the most recent has to do with a physical problem I knew I had, but hadn't gone to the doctor about. For a couple of years, I've had pain in my right foot. I kept thinking it would get better, but it never did. I finally went to a podiatrist and learned that there was irreversible damage to my arch and some connecting tissue in the foot. There's a long technical name for it, but I won't go into that here.
The result of this news is that we are going to be making some changes in our ranching operation and will be cutting back on some of the work load. It's an ongoing process and is far from being finalized.
Another bit of life-changing news was given to me way back in the last century... 1982, to be exact. It was then that I heard for the first time (at least it was the first time it made any sense to me) that Jesus Christ had died for my sins and that by placing my faith in his substitutionary death, burial and resurrection, I could receive eternal life. Up to that point, I had just assumed that because I hadn't been as bad as some other people I knew, that I must surely be good enough to get into heaven. Talk about good news, this was the GOOD NEWS!
I discovered new meaning to life and a new way of living. I learned that I would never be worthy of being accepted by God through any of my "good works", and that only by placing my faith in the Savior would I be saved from the judgment I deserved.
Let me quote Romans 5:6-8..."You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly . Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us the Good News..."For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."
Now that you have heard the Good News, has it changed your life? Will it change your life? I pray it does.

Spreading the news,
Pastor Jerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home